Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ha ha, good one, Domino!

Domino magazine and I have a love-hate relationship. I was so eager to subscribe when it first came out, and I drooled over the first few issues. Then it got all uppity on me; I hate when magazines do a story on "Where to Find Affordable Art!" and the featured pieces are upwards of $1500. Dude, my idea of affordable art is etsy. Plus it seemed very NYC-centric and I don't like to support the rest of the country being rendered irrelevant. So in order to punish Domino, I didn't merely let my subscription run out, I CANCELED it. Oh yes, my sting is swift.

I held out for six months or so and finally came crawling back. For the most part, I have been happy with the fact that I made up with Domino. I even peruse its website on occasion, and recently I came across the dominomag.com gallery featuring "inspiring" rooms from the Domino decorating contest . Most were stunning. But then there was this:


Huh? Is this a joke? It makes me question everything about Domino, namely the eyesight of every single person who works there. THIS is what it takes to be on Domino's website? Four triangles (or upon closer look, maybe 8?) painted in unappealing colors and some flat pillows set at an angle? Oh, the poor girl who has to shiver under that thin bedspread! Was this dominomag.com's way of supporting designers in third-world countries? Then I read the room designer's comments:

"I think this room is a winner because it is a unique pattern for a bedroom and the colors are in style this season. I was inspired to decorate this room because I wanted the colors to match the comforter and pillows while incorporating all of the colors in bed setting. What is phenomenal about my decorating job is that I was able to give my sister a room that is different from all of her high school friends and a room that she can rave about. It may surprise you that this was my first major decorating experience."
— David from Philadelphia, PA

It is indeed phenomenal that this person is not from a developing country but from Philadelphia. And I'm guessing that he is about 15-17 years old and maybe a-bit-in-the-closet gay. Okay. I take no pleasure in making fun of children, so I will instead say this to David's aunt who must work somewhere at dominomag.com: shame on you! Whatever your sister did to guilt you into this, is it worth your job? Your self-respect? Now, delete this picture from the gallery before your boss finds out and then go buy your niece a nice fluffy down comforter.

8 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

hilarious - congratulations on your launch!

SGM said...

Thanks Mrs. B! I love KC.

72 and sunny said...

ok, you're KILLING Me. there are so many bloggers, doing that, ahem, looking down and to the side, rubbing the backs of their necks. you just basically called the emporer (sp?) out. and i applaud you. call a spade man.

cotedetexas said...

ouch! I think that poor David, is a young budding i.d. who thought this up for his teenaged sister. Having a teenager myself, I hate to this, but she would LOVE to have a room exactly like this. I'm sure David is quite capable of designing something much more sophisticated for adults, he is trying to make a little teenage girl happy. I think it's kind of a cute room, myself.

SGM said...

Cote de Texas, was I too harsh? I don't doubt David's intentions but his design is so ... unremarkable. I just don't think it's worthy of being posted on the website of a respected national design magazine like domino. I'm sure he put in a ton of work into painting, but those colors are downright ick and the triangles and furnishings just seem ho-hum. If he would have painted a headboard, or been a little more creative with his color choices, THAT would be much more interesting to me.
I love a little controversy in the comments! Thanks for reading!

laure said...

You. are. hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I have fallen out of love with Domino for the same reasons. And then Thursday night I discovered a recipe for brussel sprouts (in the most recent issue) and suddenly I'm rethinking...

They are still uppity and too focused on N.Y. When they showcase Tinsley Mortimer, I'm out.

my little apartment said...

i love how the bedspread has a corner that's creeping into the hot pink trash can, like even it is embarrassed to even be seen in that room...